A leather modern lounge chair is a long lasting investment that can continue to give you stylish comfort when properly maintained. Many chairs and couches come covered in leather because it is a durable material that can hold up to everyday use. Over time, though, leather can crack due to dirt build-up from lack of cleaning or heat buildup from the sun. Heat can cause the natural oils of the leather to dry, resulting in an unsightly crack. Repair those cracks in your leather lounge chair by following a few easy steps.
- Brush the leather crack with a shoe brush to remove dirt and small particles. The bristles of the shoe brush and soft and gentle, so it should not harm the leather material.
- Clean the cracked area on the leather lounge chair with a cloth slightly dampened with alcohol. The alcohol removes any unseen dirt, preparing the surface for the repair.
- Using cuticle scissors, trim off any excess threading on the edges of the crack.
- Gently separate the two sides of the leather crack with your fingers. Squeeze the leather filler inside the crack until it is almost full. Use a hair dryer to dry the leather filler for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Squeeze enough leather filler to fill the crack, and level the top with a palette knife to match the level of the surrounding leather. Press a grain pad to the filled crack to mimic the texture of the leather lounge chair if needed. Let the leather filler set for five minutes.
- Smooth the set leather filler with 1200-grit sandpaper for smooth leather finishes. Continue to sand lightly until the cracked area feels smooth.
- Dab a clean sponge into the matching leather colorant, and apply a thin layer over the leather filler. Sponge on as many additional colorant coats as it takes to achieve a matching color to the surrounding leather on the lounge chair. Let the leather color air-dry.
- Seal the repair by spraying leather finish over the repaired crack. Let it dry for an hour before using.
If your leather chair is damaged beyond repair, consider getting a new leather lounge chair. You should find many stylish, comfortable and affordable pieces in the market, just like the ones below.
Wall Street Leather Corner Sofa Arm Chair by Ave-Six
Covered in high performance easy-care faux leather, the Wall Street Leather Corner Sofa Arm Chair by Ave-Six is perfect for those who take stock in high fashion design and unsurpassed seating comfort. It has a box spring seat for comfort and durability.
Stetson Low Profile Swivel Chair - Mocca / Stone by Diamond Sofa
The Stetson Low Profile Swivel Chair - Mocca / Stone by Diamond Sofa provides a chic, modern style along with comfort and functional ability. Swiveling 360 degrees, it is more than just for looks, but also a comfortable chair that will soon become your favorite seat in the house.
Camden Top Grain Leather Accent Chair in Raisin by Elements Fine HomeThe classic wingback design of the Camden Top Grain Leather Accent Chair in Raisin by Elements Fine Home features refined symmetry and smooth lines with tightly tailored cushions let you appreciate old world charm with new world comfort.