Redecorating an ordinary contemporary fire pit with mosaic tile transforms the look of your entire outdoor living area. Installing mosaic tile is a simple craft project that anyone can do with a few materials and a bit of handiwork. And don’t stop with just your firepit; install mosaic tile on your outdoor tables, flower pots and fountains for a colorful and creative way to spruce up your patio and garden décor.
- Clean out the fire pit and turn it upside down. Clear any debris or soot from the outside so that you can start tiling on a clean surface.
- Spread a small amount of thinset on one section of the outer rim of the fire pit. Because the fire pit is upside down, the rim is now at the base and resting on the surface of your work table. Scrape the top of the thinset with the jagged edge of a trowel. This will allow the mosaic tiles to cling better to the adhesive as it dries.
- Press the mosaic tiles firmly into the thinset. You can work around the perimeter of the fire pit, then move upward, or you can work in strips from the rim to the base, which is on top now that the fire pit is inverted. Continue to work in small sections so you have time to put the tile before the adhesive starts to set. Finish tiling your fire pit and let the adhesive dry.
- Flip the fire pit and tile around the rim. (This was the section resting on the work surface you tiled the bulk of the fire pit.) Let the adhesive dry.
- Flip the fire pit back over and apply grout to the crevices between the mosaic tiles. Your grout float works well for this, but you can also use your fingers. Remove any excess grout with warm water and a sponge before the grout has a chance to dry on the surface of the tiles. Let the grout dry, then flip it and grout the rim.
- Apply grout sealer to the tiled surface of your outdoor fire pit once the grout is completely dry. This will protect the grout lines from moisture and stains.
To spare yourself all the hassle, consider just buying a fire pit with mosaic tile. You should find many of them on the market today with affordable prices.
Slate Ledge And Copper Accents Fire Pit by Fireside America
The Slate Ledge And Copper Accents Fire Pit by Fireside America is a wood burning fire pit with slate ledge and copper accents. It has a rust-resistant powder-coated steel bowl and stand and includes a removable spark screen.
Canyon Square Wood Burning Fire Pit Table by Alfresco Home
Featuring a steel frame with powder coat paint finish, the Canyon Square Wood Burning Fire Pit Table by Alfresco Home has rustic brown tiles wrapping the table top. Tis fire pit table also includes a fire pit bowl and spark screen.
Traditional Style 36 x 60 Fire Table in Morocco Design - Blues and Blacks Granite Colors - Poly Black Powder Coat by Sundance SouthwestHand crafted in Texas, the Traditional Style 36 x 60 Fire Table in Morocco Design - Blues and Blacks Granite Colors - Poly Black Powder Coat by Sundance Southwest has opening in the middle that houses 4 interchangeable inserts for fire logs, stainless steel ice or and center plug.